The Houser Mouthpiece, Three-Piece Part: Screw Shank. $45.00.
- Shanks correspond to a specific cup model (ie. A San Francisco 3-piece cup requires a San Francisco screw shank).
- Screw shanks give you the ability to change bore, backbore (only SF models), and the external taper, or seating depth in the horn receiver, to optimize response.
- Screw shanks are currently available in Stainless Steel only.
About Houser Shank External Tapers: Shanks may be ordered with four unique tapers - #’s0-3. Taper #0 is the smallest diameter shank (.293 in./ 7.442mm at tip). Taper #1 has a larger diameter and backs the shank out 1mm further than the #0. Taper #2 backs the shank out 2mm further then #0 and so on up to taper #3.
How To Select Shanks:
- Choose the model that corresponds with your cup.
- Choose the Bore (drill size) you want - Ex. #14. - We advise first trying the recommended bore size(s) for a given cup and then experimenting to find the best fit.
- Choose the External Taper you want (0, 1, 2, or 3). - For most players a shank grouping with numbers 1,2, and 3 will let you select the shank that delivers the best balance of resistance and slotting (stability) for a particular cup design and your horn.
- Choose the Backbore (internal taper) you want if you are getting a San Francisco (1, 2, 3, or 4). Standley, Landsman and Bloom shanks each have only one backbore.
Extremely happy. Excellent quality build and exactly what I wanted.